PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 19:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PerAdUK
but what would my role as a sergeant involve?
Before anyone else jumps in, smart question.

A non-aircrew sgt in the RAF will have served possibly 12 years with maybe 5 years as a cpl. A corporal is seen as the first step in management and a competent cpl is worth more than a new flying officer. It follows that a sgt is hugely competent in his job. That, as an aircrew sgt aged 20, is what you must measure up against. In short, there is no contest.

Never-the-less, in terms of command and control in the wider air force you will wear your 3 stripes and have all the powers of command and discipline comsensurate with your rank. Awesome.

At Cranwell you will find yourself as orderly sergeant and the front man on the whole station during your 24 hr duty. You may be a guard commander and responsible for a number of armed guards.

You will be senior to any ground trade corporal but initially you will know next to nothing. You must be open to advice and guidance from subordinates.

However you will largey be sheltered and mentored by your fellow aircrew. They will be sympathetic and help you.

I will leave it to others nearer the coal face to elaborate.

Final question for you, why not go for a commission and pilot?