PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 19:11
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At GB, we followed the BA SOPS
No, you didn't, you followed your own. Some of your SOPs were based on some of theirs but, alas, you were not a sun and spade version of BA.

The monitored approach is the safest way to fly as it ensures that both pilots are "in the loop" from TOD to touchdown
No, it doesn't. I'm as capable of falling asleep during a monitored approach as I am now during a conventional one (both as PF and PNF)

If one pilot is losing the plot, the other can always say, "OK, thanks, I'll take it from here".
Whereas in a conventional approach, and we've all seen it time and time again, one guy just lets the other guy fly them both into a smoking hole? There's nothing to preclude you from intervening in a balls up aside from yourself.

The other point that needs mentioning is that the blame culture at easyjet has reduced voluntary ASRs by 75% from the levels we enjoyed during the GB days.
So you're saying that three quarters of safety-related incidents amongst your fleet now go unreported? I wonder what your erstwhile colleagues at British Airways would make of such an attitude.

By the way, its only a matter of time before a ground crew guy gets dragged under the nosewheel because there's no checklist item for "Ground Crew Clearance ..... Received".
You've already been given the quote from OMB. Perhaps you're concerned too that one day somebody might ditch in the sea through fuel starvation caused by a failure to retract the gear and flaps on your sortie to the Canaries? No checklist for that either, or a dozen other things. Funnily enough, a lack of checklist verbosity doesn't appear to have bent much metal.