PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What degree most suited for aviation?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 10:56
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Higher education nivel... or licences...

There are numerous valuable recommendations published in Pprune... At times however, you should realize that they are specific, and valid only for some parts of the world, individual situations (often financial), age limitations, hiring prerequisites by airlines (or corporations), medical standards (vision for some), what did I forget, in this list...?
xxx
There is a sizable divide between what is done in Europe, and North America as an example. The rest of the world varies, aligning itself with one system or the other, or a combination of both sides.
xxx
A lot of our aspiring pilot friends are quite colorful with their "location" and it is hard to tailor the recommendations to the individuals who question "how to" when all I know is that they say they are from the "third planet from the sun" or "not far from the airport". If that friend writes "license" - he is obviously an American - if he writes "licence" - that is British English, but... from where...?
xxx
In this particular case, we know that nisbeat is asking for advices that would apply for a Belgian, and that SNS3Guppy good recommendations are definitely well put for the average American pilot hopeful. I am a native of Belgium myself, but made my career in the USA, thereafter overseas, so I know a little about what applies best for one side of the Atlantic, and what would be better for the other side.
xxx
Regarding higher level education, that is after completing "secondary schools", I would definitely recommend college degrees to Americans, for many reasons, one being that many USA airlines require a degree to be considered for hire, whereas European carriers generally do not. Licences, qualifications and flight experience concepts are also quite different. A frozen ATPL and 300 hrs is the minimum requirement for some European carriers, but in USA, nowadays, do not try to apply with less than ATP, 1500/2000 hrs and maybe type rating. And with the USA airlines numerous bankruptcies... you better be qualified for another career, then a degree maybe outside aviation.
xxx
Given the circumstances, on both sides, I would recommend to start training as pilot (for a PPL) as early as student pilot minimum age is met, alongside the last year of secondary school, and start hitting the theory in aviation manuals for higher ratings, such as CPL/IR...
xxx
In North America, thanks to reduced schedules of secondary schools, kids often work at McDonald's or wash dishes. Why not try to work at a small airport flight school, filling airplane tanks, checking oil, or push airplanes into the hangar. Secondary school schedules hardly permit part-time jobs in Europe, and students have higher level of home study to complete, which rarely permits a part-time job.
xxx
Europeans, do not under-estimate your language abilities, as you often are fluent in at least 2, 3 or maybe even 4 languages, which almost always includes English. Having a good command of French, or German will definitely assist you in getting that job with Air France or Lufthansa. Americans are at a definite disadvantage with languages... Sure, tell me that English is the language of aviation... Correct, maybe within the fence of some international airports. I am glad I mastered Spanish and massacre rather good Portuguese in South America... even at times for ATC, and, in France, a little "bonjour" in French helps a lot getting a "direct to" the next FIR exit point...
xxx
Bonne chance à toi, nisbeat -

Happy contrails