PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 19th Aug 2008, 10:26
CrazyMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volume Of Cas Unwarranted And Risky To Ga

What an utter mess the whole area will be especially when Humberside gets their share of CAS. I have major concerns for GA:

Firstly, training aircraft (GA and mil) are going to be cornered in to ever smaller chunks of airspace increasing the avoidance manoeuvres required to miss one another (are Donny or Humberside going to allow general handling in class D airspace? just transits I suspect).

Secondly, increasing R/T on a busy training sortie will detract from the learning itself.

Thirdly, if ATC are really so GA user friendly (to be fair, they are pretty good right now) are they prepared for the extra RT calls that will come at them (when we get one)? I refer this to the likes of Stansted who almost always blankly refuse any transits of CAS, not because there isn't space, but because the controllers are too busy. A dedicated 'LARS' frequency may be required.

Finally, the massive volume of CAS will lead to an increase in infringements...not due to negligence but due other factors (inexperience, nav error, weather). Most pilots have been there but I wonder what will happen to these individuals (legally). Okay, they should have been talking to ATC but many pilots are reluctant to do so because they are afraid to talk on busy, quick fire, frequencies. That doesn't mean they aren't safe pilots...from my experience, chatting on the radio reduces the effectiveness of the other senses...ie lookout. Coventry accident?

In my view the volume of CAS is unwarranted and will increase the flight safety risks amongst the GA community.