PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 04:36
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For brickhistory (and others): I couldn't convince you to read a book detailing the bad news, ('Fiasco' - see my post # 73 on this thread), so here are two at the other end of the scale, and both very good reads.
'Imperial Grunts: The American Military on the Ground' (ISBN: 1400061326) by Robert D. Kaplan, and, by the same author, 'Hog Pilots, Blue Water Grunts: The American Military in the Air, at Sea, and on the Ground' (ISBN: 0739323423)

'Hog Pilots' is a follow on from the first book. However, I read it first and found it a marginally more enjoyable read than 'Imperial Grunts', (perhaps because it was partially about aeroplanes!!).

'brick', these two I think you'll enjoy - and for any Brit (or even Ozmate) military readers out there, I believe reading them will be something of a revelation, explaining quite a few things we all thought we knew (edited to add) about the US military.

Highly recommended.

(This is the same author who wrote 'The Coming Anarchy', which I think should be required reading for anyone entering into politics or the military in the West, particularly the U.S.)

Last edited by Wiley; 20th Aug 2008 at 08:12.