PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 18th Aug 2008, 22:41
Friio4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The radar ATCO's that control Doncaster also control Liverpool. I have been a radar ATCO at Liverpool for over 16 years and cannot remember refusing a transit clearance of Class D airspace. I admit on occasions offering alternative routings dependant on the traffic situation, but honestly cannot recall an absolute refusal to transit the CTA/CTA.
When controlling at Doncaster I have always politely requested transit traffic either route east, south etc of the airfield or cap their level, knowing full well they dont have to unless its in the ATZ to facilitate IFR arrivals and departures. In my experience, over 3 years now at Doncaster, the vast majority of transitting aircraft have been more than happy to oblige, even offering reroutes on some occasions.
I can see no reason at all why transit traffic should be refused point blank transit clearance of the new airspace, but can see the need for the occasional reroute, which at the end of the day will only be for the reasons of safety and expedition.
At the end of the day it is a very busy piece of airspace , despite some peoples views. Doncaster can handle about 34 IFR scheduled plus unscheduled movements, over 200 transits ( those are the ones in RT contact!) a day. I realise that 34 scheduled movements is not a lot compared to other airports but when they are trying to to integrated with all the other traffic in the area is seems an awful lot more.
There is always an invitation open for anyone who flies in the area to visit in order to have a better understanding of the operation. Remember though, the radar is over at Liverpool.

Last edited by Friio4; 19th Aug 2008 at 07:57.