PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coventry Incident - the ONLY thread?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2008, 12:28
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this on the original thread (most likely deleted by the thread starter; it happens - I deleted the Graham Hill thread because some ATCOs didnt like me repeating stuff that's already been written in some books covering the incident)

I'm amazed we don't bump into each other more often than we actually do and delighted too.
The UK average is about one per year over the last 10 years. All except one were below 1000ft; the last one (not the current one) was reportedly at 1800ft, and this one (assuming 2 to 2.5nm from runway, as reported) would have likely also been below 1000ft. Clearly, the risk is at very low levels.

All were in VMC. The last civilian GA IMC mid-air in UK airspace was reportedly c. 1942.

I think it would be helpful if the AAIB issued a brief stement of the FACTS as known, within 24 hrs of a high profile incident like this, to help prevent speculation. I believe the NTSB in the USA do something like this. It could include whether next of kin have been informed or not. The problem is that waiting for the full report will take up to a year, and callous though it might seem, most of us will have forgotten the incident.
Very much agree. Especially as so many GA AAIB reports are highly speculative in the really important areas (no CVR, no FDR).

The one thing I would like to know is what clearance, if any, the SE pilot had. The collision would appear to be within the ATZ.