PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 17th Aug 2008, 15:45
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought pilots would plan their flights instead of just bumbling around the skies. So Doncaster has CAS. So what. Do you need to fly through it really? If you're locally based, the atc'ers will get to know you and you're abilities etc. I've always found this the case.
You can fly around the edge of CAS without speaking to a soul or even fly over the top of it. I can't see why so many are upset about this. Yes, Doncaster airport is hardly a busy airport and I think Humberside would benefit from some sort of CAS around it. I am biased about that though. There are so many GA a/c fly around the Humber area without talking to the right people. We do fly low level sometimes (well, above 500' anyway) and often told to look out for motor gliders, microlights, and fixed wing out of North Coates and Beverley etc.

At least the Radar controllers and atc'ers at HUY do deal with this GA traffic very well.

Is the CAS having an impact on Sandtoft for booking out etc? I know from working at Sandtoft in the past they (DON)were always on the phone complaining we didn't talk to them when in the circuit!!?? Eh? No CAS then.