PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirservicesAustralia wants Overtime to be compulsory
Old 17th Aug 2008, 10:54
flightfocus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there IS anyone reading this thread thinking of an ATC career, then I offer you my humble 2 cents worth.

The JOB is fantastic. Very rewarding, challenging and a great sense of camaraderie. Each day is different and provides a constantly changing and fluid set of circumstances for you to "control". That is the good.

The bad is that we have arguably the worst senior management in Australia. It is unbelievable the lengths they go to crush, trample and generally piss off their work force. Now before we all get carried away, of course I am generalising, but only just.

Speak to any controller working for Lipservices and they will more than likely tell you that the love of the job is immense. And we are all constantly dumbfounded that they are unable to engage the staff and foster what should be the worlds greatest job.

We SHOULD love the company. They SHOULD realise the asset they have in their staff and look after them. It is not rocket surgery. Look after your staff, they look after your customers and your shareholders are happy.

Best recent example is the CEO of Air NZ Rob Fyfe who turned morale around by focusing on staff and not treating them as the enemy at every possible opportunity.

Now, hopefully that will give you an insight as to why me - and plenty of people like me - are actively seeking employment overseas. Even if the conditions and mgt are EXACTLY the same, at least you will being paid closer to your worth.

Joe Public needs to understand that the impending retirements with the older generation (who are better off $ wise by retiring at 50) and the disenchantment of the newer staff is going to leave a big hole in Australian Aviation in general. The older crowd are the keepers of the experience and the skills, the newer, younger ones wont put up with the sh#t.

OK, now run off and put in your application. We need you.