PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated with this damned summer
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2008, 09:50
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wx

Hi Guys,

Between 2004 and 2006 I was working to renew a licence that had been expired for over 40 years.

I pretty soon realised that two out of three of my lesson bookings were failing to take place because of Wx.

So I got into the habit of booking three times as many bookings as I wanted and that worked a treat.

I'm not sure Gobal Warming is the entire cause of the crap Wx: exactly the same thing happened in 1960. I did my entire PPL in 21 days in glorious weather during June, (and this was in Manchester of all places; Britain's rainforest!). After the beginning of July, however, we had wet, squaly weather for months until the Autumn started.

In 1967 I returned to gliding at Booker and tried to get my gliding up to a decent standard. I booked two weeks holiday planning to spend it all at the gliding site. 'Same thing happened: after a few days good flying weather the monsoon broke and that was it for the rest of the summer.

Nowadays, I have a strong preference for winter flying, which I find to be far better than summer flying because of cool, stable atmospheric conditions. 'Much better.

Broomstick.