PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 17th Aug 2008, 09:16
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EastCoaster, it is right to get a view from the opposite side of the radar but it is also right that BOTH sides should listen to each other, It APPEARS that what is so often true is that the side with the biggest clout shouts down the others. I am sure you and your colleagues are very professional in your work otherwise you would not be there but that is not to say that some ATC units do not give equal access to all airspace users in accordance with safe operations and not just CONVENIENT operations. I think what many contributors are saying, albeit perhaps not using temperate phrases at times, is that ATC often do not appear to give equal access to the large area they control. Perhaps one should properly refer to an air grab rather than a land grab because if it was a land grab you would have to pay for it and as it stands at the moment you pay nothing for your exclusive right to keep others at bay. The economic argument is pure and simple hogwash and has no relevance whatever to your stance. GA in the area provides more employment and almost certainly produces a lot more income for the area than your employer ever will. Remind us again where your ATC unit is physically!
How many CAT flights per day are you expecting and what will you do for the rest of the day? As for attiudes not changing when you have this class D ask some of the local GA pilots how it changed as soon as your "invitation" period expired after you had the GA community help you train at DSA. No I have no rant and no axe to grind with DSA but let us please get the facts straight and then we may learn a little from each side.