PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 17th Aug 2008, 07:10
hunterboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh dear...I did wonder before posting. I'm one of Gordons' expats that have voted with my feet and live on the continent...so the 140k is net. I enjoy my job, but realise it isn't the be all and end all. I want to spend more time with the family and enjoy more time at home. I look at my neighbours who earn as much, if not more than me.If I could change the decisions I made 20 years ago, I probably might....As I posted earlier, I probably would have changed career or direction, but since I'm 42 and final salary pensions are no-more (in the UK) I'm pretty well trapped at BA. BA know this, of course, which is why they nibble away slowly at the workforce. In answer to your question...no, i'm not taking the piss.I just wish more of my UK colleagues would hold out for the proper rate for the job. Judging by some of the earlier posts, the job of piloting has gone from being a professional job to a vocational job. I sat next to the Chairman of Goldman Sachs several years ago who expressed amazement at the low salaries of flight crew in BA. "Our secretaries earn more than that" were his words. Perhaps we need more self esteem, or more importantly, the collective will to say to airline owners/mgmt "pay us a salary commensurate with the responsibilities of the job"....and not what the "market" will bear.