PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 16th Aug 2008, 20:20
EastCoaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of two

I take your point Bigfoot01, and I apologise if I've gotten anybody's back up with anything that I've said.

I was merely trying to present another point of view as to why there is a need for the CAS, and what effect it might have on day-to-day flying around DSA; rather than the ridiculous speculation which prevailed on this thread from many of the contributors that intimated a "land-grab" of some sort by the airport and proposed almost blanket ill-treatment of GA and hobby pilots by an ATC unit that has already proven it's worth over and over again.

Try looking at it from the other side of the fence however, just for a few moments!
  • Imagine that you were one of the controllers who had been unfortunate enough to have been on duty when one of the "beligerent individuals..." had been out playing and had to suffer the needless stress of having to deal with the situations that resulted from those individuals' actions, and subsequently had to spend hours filling out paperwork and filing reports on the incident;
  • Imagine then that you are one of the controllers who works at DSA who has always striven to provide the very best service possible to everybody who uses the area; and then reads all of the crap that's been posted here about how suddenly things are going to change because the airport is now the "Big Cheese" because it's got Class D and they can't go in there in their PA28 or C560 or whatever, just because ATC decided, 'cos they're not carrying fare-paying bucket-and-spade brigade passengers to or from EGCN, so there!! And this despite the fact that ATC continually strive to provide the same level of service to everybody in the area, even though it's only the aircraft that actually land/depart from EGCN who pay the controllers' wages! But they have more right to be in the area in their GA flight anyway!!
  • Then you hear moans about ATC placing restrictions on their flight that are designed to keep them just as safe as the "bucket-and-spaders", while conveniently ignoring the restrictions that are often placed on the airliners and other GA IFR flights to keep them away from smaller aircraft thus keeping the crews of the smaller aircraft safe as well!!

Last edited by EastCoaster; 16th Aug 2008 at 22:38. Reason: Formatting & Post too big for 1 entry!