PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Connies at RAF Northolt. Anybody know ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 15:15
SpringHeeledJack

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Connies at RAF Northolt. Anybody know ?

Posted this on the spotter's forum, but alas no answers forthcoming, so perhaps this is the better place to ask Cut and paste of post....

Whilst reading the thread on the use of runway 23 at LHR, there was mention of a very near airprox between an Olympic 727 and an Indian Air Force Constellation.

This got the grey matter moving and I seem to remember seeing a few IAF connies in the 1970's (and possibly some Pakistan AirForce examples as well) at RAF Northolt. Now this is perhaps a question for the aviation history forum, but perhaps not. I was wondering why the connies were regular visitors into London when Air India was flying daily (as today) with enough capacity to cover diplomatic movements and so on.

Was it a staging post to re-supply their UN mission in New York or some such ? A shame that at the time we never appreciated how rich and varied the aircraft were in comparison to today.....

Coincidentally, i was floating by Sion (LSGS) airport a few days ago and was happily suprised to see the Breitling Connie sitting in the sun looking magnificent. Ahhhh.....

Regards

SHJ