PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest From The House Of Commons On UAV's
Old 16th Aug 2008, 15:05
Mr Grim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can climb faster than a bulk standard manned F-16 (or even a GR4)
Loaded Reaper probably about the same climb/turn performance as a loaded GR4! Above 200 almost certainly better. But that is irrelevant. When was the last time an F16 had to pull 9g in the stan?

Personally I think a lot of confusion comes from different people talking about different roles. I think the high performance UAV for something like A-A is still a long way off and when it does come it will fly itself, with a WSO-type on the ground allocating targets and consenting to weapons release. The next generation seems to be aimed at the traditional strategic attack role, operating autonomously, which they will do much better than a manned aircraft, just so long as you don't want them to be flexible/clever when they get to the target and it has moved/already hit/etc.

What current FJ such as F16 are very good at is flexibility - totally outclassing any UAV current or planned (that I know of). What current UAVs are very good at is the type of task required in current theatres - persistent ISTAR and attack. As we like to say, Reaper is the kill chain!

In summary, if the Russians decide to keep going and roll across the central European plain, get your FJs, the UAVs won't be that useful. If you want to support the troops on the ground in Afghanistan, get a Reaper (or 10).