PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield - New Class D Airspace
Old 16th Aug 2008, 14:58
EastCoaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious to know why I'm being singled out for "attack", for want of a better way of putting it?!

All I've done in my previous two posts is to try to help explain why, at such an early stage in the life of the commercial airport, it may have been decided that the implementation of CAS at DSA is necessary! Obviously not only the airport authority wanted it, but also DAP and the CAA must have thought there was sufficient grounds for concern for the safety of aircraft in the area that not only was it approved so early, but also that the process was so quick! Their decision, not ATC's!

And another thing, I have no problem with GA flyers, nor does anybody that I know. All I was doing, as is clear from what I've written previously, was expressing dissatisfaction with those who have deliberately, negligently, or simply absent-mindedly put other airspace users in the area at risk by their actions (or lack of), for whatever personal reasons or motivations.

Neither did I try to say that ATC are the environmental arbiters of aviation. To try to do so would be pure silliness. ATC are responsible for the safety of the aircraft under their care, and under normal everyday working conditions are expected to exercise a high degree of environmental consideration in the routeing of aircraft, while trying to minimise the level of disruption and disturbance caused to those who must live and work in the vicinity of the airfield! On the other side of the argument is the economic pressure from the airlines and aircraft operators to minimise track mileage flown and thereby reduce the cost of fuel-burn per flight! However, I will clarify this by stating that when there is the possibility that the safety of a flight could be compromised (whether GA or CAT), then the environmental considerations go out the window - SAFETY is paramount! And that, once again, is why the CAS is being established! Not so that everybody who doesn't happen to possess an AOC can be excluded from flying in the area!

Why is it that most people are ASSUMING that there will automatically be an instant deterioration in the strong working relationship that's been forged between DSA ATC and the GA airspace users in the area over the last 3 years or more? Why don't we all just wait and see how things pan out?? Or is that just me being naiive and wanting to believe that people actually want to work together for the safety and enjoyment of all concerned. After all, we're all only doing our jobs! We still have to work with each other at the end of the day.