PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The case for regular manual reversion training on the 737.
Old 16th Aug 2008, 14:19
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One pilot handling the pitch, the other handling the roll and avoid thrust changes if possible.I tried to wrap around the above paragraph but the icon did not operate.The question of a two pilot effort sharing the task of handling a manual reversion was the subject of a letter to Boeing recently. The reply was that there is no Boeing procedure that requires the use of two pilots to fly the aircraft. In fact having two pilots sharing thrust and airspeed control is a recipe for an almighty balls-up. Certainly the FCTM advice is good about considering use of stab trim to aid the flare. During my own type rating with a Boeing flight instructor from Seattle many years ago, we conducted an inflight manual reversion circuit and final approach to 500 feet. At 500 feet the hydraulics were re-instated for obvious reasons. The feel of the aircraft was identical to the practice in the simulator a few days earlier. Naturally it took careful flying but as the original poster said, if you were competent at normal hand flying then the manual reversion was well within the skill range of a competent pilot. A Pan call landing perhaps, but certainly not a Mayday situation unless you seek and glory in the media publicity and like to walk down the stairs to a hero's reception, garlands and dancing girls etc. I agree the manual reversion should receive regular attention in the simulator especially if you feel you cannot cope with it safely in real life. The fact the event is a remote possibility means nothing. Dead stick landings are remote possibilities in jet transports but they have happened.