PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical changes to CAA PPL.
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 10:51
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
What the publication fails to mention is if any restrictions apply as they do to the NPPL SSEA rating. Can one now fly abroad on this arrangement?
I am currently awaiting an updated version of the General Exemption from the responsible person at the CAA. This is because the CAA needs to clarify (internally) whether a SSEA Class Rating will have to be included in a non-NPPL for those who use the General Exemption. If they decide that a SSEA Class Rating will be required, the aim is to make it a free issue.

If you use a Medical Declaration with a non-NPPL + SEP Class Rating, you are restricted exactly as a NPPL SSEA holder is.

MTOW 2000 kg
No more than 4 PoB including the pilot
No night
No IMC
No FI Rating

Use outside UK airspace subject to agreement of the other nation. The French have already said "NON!!".

To my mind, the LPL is an utter crock. It brings nothing new, it doesn't allow Microlight pilots to upgrade as the NPPL does and it combines the worst of all options - a rolling 2 year validity period within a 5 year issue period - work that one out!

The EASA PPL proposals have their own flaws, but the LPL is utter poo - read the MDM032 proposals and you'll see what I mean. I propose that all sub-ICAO licences should be down to individual Member States to sort out and administrate; the minimum €urolicence should be the PPL.