PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inspirational Leaders
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 08:37
In Tor Wot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff Simpson

Difficult to identify one individual that has left his/her mark of inspiration upon one's outlook. However, one that changed my attitude more than any other was Geoff Simpson (Simpo), then Station Commander at Waddington (mid 90s).

Good humoured and professional he also had that element of a personable nature that put all ranks at their ease without trying to be a 'mate'. Willing to take on the hierarchy without alienating them, he achieved many good things for his people and station in such a way as to ensure that it never appeared to be a personal glory hunt.

One memorable incident occurred during an AFI when the 'Scottish' AVM was AOC. There had been great disquiet on the stn at the commitment to Bosnia and the reluctance of 11 Gp to increase the number of crews (E3D) therefore the sqn (singular at the time) was being thrashed. Simpo told all officers to be in the Mess bar by 1630. At the end of the day, said AVM was heading for his 125 when Simpo simply took him to the bar, opened the door turned to the AVM and said, "you've been telling me you can't afford to support these guys, now tell them" and pushed him in, literally. He wouldn't let him leave without hearing what his decisions actually meant to the guys on the sqn.

Unsurprisingly it was a short period before crews were increased and subsequently the additional sqn added.

How many would risk their careers by doing the same these days? Very few I suspect.