PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who are wearing the black hats? The Russians or the Georgians?
Old 16th Aug 2008, 05:45
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Jacko
I suspect dragging the US in provides some personal catharsis...but I'll play along.

Indecision over what hat to award is a bit premature. I say the hat is camouflage. The arguably noble idea of defending de-facto Russians from the oppressive Georgians may elicit some sympathy ("those darn Ruskies, good idea, bad plan") but is it really the reason they're there or is it simply a vehicle? The words and actions of the Russians seem in conflict with one another. Rushing tanks well outside the disputed regions, within 20 min drive of Tbilisi sounds different than freeing someone from tyranny. Refusing (depending on what Russian official you listen to) to rule out regime change in Georgia has a decidedly forward leaning, fangs hanging out tint about it.

You're gonna need to see how it plays out before you'll have your answer. True motives have yet to be determined. The old satellites seem to be drawing some conclusions early on however. They don't have the luxury of armchair quarterbacking (does that translate to British?) like those of us here do.

I believe the Soviet Union was "invited" to intervene in Czechoslovakia, The Poles and Ukrainians certainly hope they don't find that same invitation in the mail with Vlad's hand writing on it.