PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bjets
Thread: Bjets
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 02:55
Flintstone

Before the rumours start let's lay out the facts.

BJets is a start-up and as such had to make reaching decisions including some in the area of recruitment. They took on quite a few low houred pilots and out of necessity these crew had to be hired before the aircraft arrived.

After pilots were offered positions and some had embarked upon their (company funded) type rating courses the Indian authorities declared that no expat FO's would be allowed to work on Indian registered aircraft in any company, not just BJets. Why? Well maybe that had something to do with influential/moneyed families who sent their precious little princes and princesses overseas to become 'airline pilots' . Said offspring are now back in India with their sausage factory, ink-still-wet-licences demanding jobs despite some barely having qualified and still being in need of further training. Again this is not BJets specific but countrywide.

Presented with a situation not of their making BJets management lobbied very, very hard to obtain a dispensation from the DGCA. This was denied and after several months of paying and training expats the company has had to admit that their time and money has been wasted. I know those who had to make this decision and it has been very difficult for them.

As for setting the company up..... you would not believe the bureaucracy. Obstacle after obstacle is invented by the authorities and each time a solution is presented yet another obstacle appears. Someone up there ^^^ made a smart arsed comment about the aircraft sitting in a hangar. Well, yeah. I guess that's what happens when your 'authorities' insist upon each aircraft being virtually stripped before it can go on the local register. Is that the company's fault or the authorities? Muppet.

BJets have at last conducted their first revenue flights in the face of this adversity. Their order book is huge and I for one wish them well having been offered (and declined) a senior position with them. Anyone who can start up a company from scratch under third, nay fourth, world conditions has my respect.

My opinion. The Indian authorities would rather have their low-time, scary-dangerous newbie pilots operating in their blisfully ignorant state than accept that they cannot cope without imported expertise and experience. I would not be at all surprised if this leads to some serious incidents knowing what I do of some Indian pilots and the aviation infrastructure in that country. They should all be very worried.