PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T-PEDs: Cellular telephones in the helicopter
Old 16th Aug 2008, 02:36
TheVelvetGlove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T-PEDs: Cellular telephones in the helicopter

I am an EMS pilot in the USA doing research on the use of cellular telephones in the helicopter. They are classified as "T-PED's".

T-PEDS are Transmitting Personal Electronic Devices.

In the USA, it is a violation of FCC regulations to have a cell phone in the helicopter that is powered "on" once the skids leave the ground.

It is also a violation of FAA regulations; even if cell phones are listed on approved PED list in the helicopter's RFM, cell phones may only be used while on the ground. They are to be powered completely "off" at all other times.

Even with the advent of digital cell phones, pilots are still reporting interference with avionics and other anomalies, including, not limited to:

A complete blackout of EFIS displays, autopilots uncoupling, loss of glide scope, loss of localizer, loss of nav radios, loss of radio altimeters...the list is endless. The Aviation Safety Reporting System continues to receive numerous reports every year from pilots who have had to go missed as the result of these devices being utilized in flight.

With the advent of texting on cellular telephones, I have witnessed an epidemic of texting by medical crews during cruise, as well as during critical phases of flight.

My question for EMS pilots is this:

What do you think about the use of cellular telephones in your helicopter?

Thanks for all replies.