PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirservicesAustralia wants Overtime to be compulsory
Old 15th Aug 2008, 17:49
Kuntrol_Freek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Gentlemen,
I am not sure whether to curse you all or thank you. Having followed the various threads on PPrune relating to working in Oz for AsA I have decided to WITHDRAW my application.

I am one of those ex Oz controllers who defected many years ago to try my lot overseas. Last year, after much consideration, I decided that for family reasons it might be time to return home. I applied for a position in the "Global Search for ATC's" and was called for an interview.
Unfortunately 20+ years Australian ATC experience followed by more years in the ME and Far East were apparently insufficient to gain employment in the organisation and I was told that I was not wanted - I did query them at the intervew about my age but was told that age was not a barrier to re-employment.

Since then I have been if not bombarded, then certainly showered, with emails asking me to re-apply, with varying explanations as to why i should.
Being a sucker for punishment I did reapply and when filling out the application decided that, if I was to go back, I only wanted to work in one of the more desireable locations in Australia - No! not Brisbane or Mel Centres
I did not expect a reply given my rather unreasonable (to some) request but lo and behold I did get a reply along with a request for evidence of residency etc.

After much consideration of my position and reading of these forums i have come to 2 conclusions.
1) I do not want to jump from the QE3 onto the Titanic.
2) I do not believe that AsA would honour any location offer made to entice me, once I had signed on the dotted line.

One point I would like to make to you all is this.
Whilst it is well and good that the information relating to this situation is discussed and made available to all, it can be self defeating. You guys are working your ar5e5 off and desperate to get more staff to join AsA to provide eventual relief to the staff situation but the constant complaining and running down of your employer and its disorganisation and bad management don't exactly provide a rosy picture to anybody contemplating the leap.

Good Luck guys. It increasingly looks like you are going to need it.

KF
Bring back DCA