PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What qualifications are expected to be held by an FI?
Old 15th Aug 2008, 17:30
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for the IMC - do it. Regardless of whether you need it for employment or not it will improve your understanding of flying and also improve your flying skills (keeping within tolerances etc.....).
Duchess,
Couldn't agree more. Although I did my initial IMC course many years ago it felt like doing aspects of the PPL again - only properly. This was especially so with regard to Met and Planning.

You've got to do hours to get to the CPL and FI requirement - why not use them doing something useful rather than just boring holes in the sky in a rental?

Unlike Duchess, I've never done the IR but I'm told that having done the IMC makes transition to the IR requirements that much easier.

I also find the IMC useful as an instructor; there are times when the wx in the training area is suitable for the exercise but getting there is a bit marginal on pure VMC. There are arguments to and fro on other threads on this subject, have a search, but I vote FOR the usefulness of the rating for an instructor, even though the law doesn't require it.

Go for it. As Duchess says, the demise of the IMC is well over-stated and at least 4 years away. Methinks it'll be around for many years to come.

Cheers,
TheOddOne