PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The case for regular manual reversion training on the 737.
Old 15th Aug 2008, 15:06
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown the 737 for 10 years altogether. I was shocked at how difficult manual reversion actually is. Nothing to do with stick and rudder skills, it feels like nothing like it. This is an emergency 'try and keep flying' procedure. Control is VERY difficult, I think impossible to do any more than simply keep flying. Even a very experienced 737 pilot would be hard pressed to actually even hit the runway, let alone 'land' IMO. I think it is effectively only an airborne process to keep flying. As for landing, I do not think you should expect to remain in one piece and walk away from it.

It remains an extremely unlikely probability. Many twins have no manual reversion at all, so at least the 737 gives you a chance....but no more than that! It's impossible to explain what it feels like to a non pilot. I just think your odds of survival are fairly low when you come to try and place it on the ground.