PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest From The House Of Commons On UAV's
Old 15th Aug 2008, 13:29
ProM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you match the SA conferred by having a human brain and eyes on scene, with a wider field of regard than any sensor turret, and with a peripheral vision capability that allows easy detection of unplanned, unbriefed targets.

Even if you ignore the limitations of a datalinked sensor picture displayed on a video screen, and assuming that you can solve all of the problems with bandwidth, susceptability to jamming, etc.
The eyes having a wider field of view than a 360 degree radar/optical/IR sensor ? I don't think so.

If we solve bandwidth, jamming etc then it can be controlled from ground and then there is a brain doing the SA so it matches what you have plus the UAV advantages

But of course you are right we cannot provide 100% solution for that (yet?). However, for most roles/missions you do not need that better SA. I don't wish to get into analysing individual roles but most of the time the pilot is not utilising his superior brain. On those occasions where it is needed, if the other advantages that the UAV are not enough then it gets shot down or fails to complete mission. At least we didn't lose a life. So we send another UAV or a manned aircraft (I never said we can do without them at all). That is simplistic I know - limitation of forum