PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly 540 Kenya F27 Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2008, 06:37
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Williwash:

I have spent nearly 20 years of my life in humanitarian aviation (war relief), the bulk of that time in Africa. I don't claim to be an economist. I have no interest in politics - Kenyan, Somali, or American. FWIW, I'm a Canadian.

The only 'guilt by association' that I see around here is what you are creating with your scurrilous comments. Based on what I have read, the Fly 540 F-27 accident took place because the crew hit a (probably uncharted, and obviously unregulated) communications tower during a visual or circling maneuver. The cargo they were carrying had nothing to do with the accident.

Khat may well be a significant part of the cargo trade out of Kenyan airports, but a priori, there is nothing legally or morally wrong with transporting that cargo.

No suggestion has ever been made that the Fly 540 aircraft was overloaded, except in the words you have written. I know people at Fly 540, I visited that company less than a month ago and I think they run a professional operation. It is a tragedy that the accident with the F-27 occurred, but the cargo is only incidental. Had the plane been full of cold-chain medicines and vaccines for sick children, the outcome would have been no different.