PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instruction or straight into the Airlines?
Old 14th Aug 2008, 19:57
flaps 15 3 green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What other routes are around to help build hours as well as raising a bit of dosh?
Have you applied to CTC for the wings scheme? If not it's worth a shot.

Unfortunately in most cases you aren't going to find very many well paid jobs with just a-levels, unless you learn a trade or work looooong hours. Why don't you look into going to university? That way you can study something you enjoy, have a shed load of fun, and most importantly become academically qualified. Anything in I.T will do you nicely with regards to funding yourself through the modular route, seems quite a popular way to do it.

But i guess your just like all the others; "I don't care about anything else as long as i'm flying! I don't care if i'm up to my neck in loans or i dont have a solid contingency plan. All i want is my 5 minutes of fame."

Well answer me this; what happens if you can't get a job in the airline industry, what are you gonna do then? (Don't be naive in thinking the odds aren't stacked against you in this department, like the majority of current wannabes on here who completely disregard this agenda as it will never be an issue with them.)
Becoming a FI is all well and good until it comes to loan repayments, saving money, earning money, poor standards of living, (with regards to your ultimate dream and the amount you'll be saving/repaying) and not to mention the winter months! I suggest you go have a word with a few FI's and hear their side of the story. Don't get me wrong it can be done, but it's not as easy as you think.

Unfortunately kid when you ain't got the money, qualifications, life experience and maturity to go about it sensibly, I'm afraid you'll always be just a.. "wannabe." Harsh but untold truth is ultimately painful.

I understand your passion; I was once a wannabe, however i kept a level head and went about it sensibly. And now here i am, barely over 30 and already attained over 8000+ hours on jets.

I worked hard throughout my A-levels, achieved high grades, went to uni and graduated with a solid aeronautical engineering degree. My hard work paid off shortly after as i gained a sponsorship for flight training. Needless to say my degree came in handy at interview and i've never looked back.

My advice to you is the same: At pressing times like today, get yourself qualified, and enjoy what there is left of your youth, you only live once and you want to make it a good one! You still have 40+ yrs to find that RHS, and when you do i'll be there to show you which button to press!

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh.

Prioritize correctly and focus promptly; you'll get there in the end.

Best wishes and good luck

F153G.