PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2008, 15:40
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
being a Lancastrian I trust that are familair with Arthur Garnett Model supplies at Colne. Worth a trip just to see all the beautifully painted plastic models in the shop.
I don't know that shop in Colne, JJ, must go and take a look some time.

Many moons ago, the Company for which I worked was involved in the promotion of the Osprey to the Army Air Corps and I was delegated to go and man the stand at the Middle Wallop show for which we had been promised a big model of the aircraft.

Four days before the show started we found out that we weren't getting the model................

Panic!!

Then the boss man said "you make models, here's a kit for you, find someone else to make this other one - see you at the weekend!".........

Personal panic - times two!!

We decided that my model would be 'wheels down', his would be 'wheels up' (which latter involved me 'borrowing' a stand from our selection of models in the Sales Presentation Room, the model being held in place by the surreptitious application of Blu-Tack!). Next few nights the two of us burned the midnight oil and I went down to Hampshire with the paint still wet on both models, I applied the decals after breakfast on the morning the show started.

I was completely amazed that no-one apparently noticed, during the entire show, that these were not professionally produced - even someone very high up (so to speak) in the Army Air Corps complemented us on them. (Actually, said Staff Officer was quite uncomplimentary about the Osprey itself, but then had the cheek to bring his wife along next day and tell her what a clever system it was).Because it was a trade show everyone assumed that they had been built professionally and had cost the company a small fortune. Just as well they didn't take too close a look!

Isn't it marvellous what you can do with a couple of £7.95 Revell 1/48th scale kits and a bit of bullsh1t! Must have been the high point of my modelling career - doesn't take much to please me.

The poor old thing looks a bit dusty now, but it's on the shelf with all the others (including the Concorde model that's just arrived from the BA shop).

GG