PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2008, 14:33
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Charlie Roy about Cork and Frankfurt. Yes, EI would easily sell some fairly high price tickets to Frankfurt which would give them a good yield but they would still be left with a lot of empty seats that would be hard to fill in the winter period even at lower prices? With a code share in place with Lufthansa there would be a much greater chance of success at all levels be it business, holiday or vfr traffic via connections at FRA. Got to be the way to go if Frankfurt is given the green light? Lufthansa would be a better bet but FR would surely want to scupper that idea and, I feel, they would indeed start HHN-ORK for pure, plain blackguarding. On the other hand Hahn - Farranfore (Kerry) is six weekly, is that right (?) so they must do fairly well and to start a ORK-HHN in the absense of LH would only serve to dilute their own yield to Hahn. Maybe my read is all wrong but that is what I think about it.

Wouldn't it be gas if the boys in the CAA somehow got themselves going and went after CSA again and relaunched a two or three weekly of their own from Prague? CSA have a lot more aeroplanes now than when they quit Cork as I seem to remember the capacity question was one of the issues being mentioned as an excuse for leaving Cork?? There has got to be some market left there between both Prague and Bratislava to Cork? What a despair it will be if both destinations go from the Cork portfolio of routes within the same week or so in October/November! Like with a well known company that I know there would have to be a consultants' review of the dire situation which would, no doubt, end up reporting that the teaboy must get the sack!

If only that would happen in the real world but then again when was Cork Airport ever in the real world!