PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instruction or straight into the Airlines?
Old 14th Aug 2008, 13:42
Speedybird999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden Costs etc.

Well an example of costs you need to consider is: (Approx Fig Pounds)

- Class 1 Medical Initial 300 then 100 per year after
- Flights to and from America during ATPL depending on the groundschool you are with
- Exam fees and Aircraft hire for the exam. The hourly rate that applies plus 700 for CPL examiner! Bloody CAA!
-Figures are based on passing everything in Minimum hours, so if you are weaker at one aspect and require futher instruction, it will take longer upping the price
-Housing and Accom Deposits
-Training Deposits (Can be as much as 1000!)
-Food will cost you a good fair amount. bout 30 a week depending on ur appetite!
-General Equipment such as bags, headsets, Charts, Plotters, CRP-5 Comp (75 quid itself) Rulers, Log Books etc
-Some require you to pay for Uniform ie Shirts etc
- Be Careful of fuel surcharges (EFT went at 5 percent on top of quoted price)
- License Issue from CAA, 180 for PPL, CPL may be around 350, not sure on the rest
- Crap Aircraft in Maintence all the time increases your length of stay (Happened at EFt)

This is a general list, I'm not trying to put you off, just wanting to prepare you for what you will face. One of the most inspirational person to me was a Pilot from Thompsonfly who told me all the nonsense and prepared me. This is why I've got so far since then.

PM me if you like

Trev