PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sanctions Urged against British Airways for leaving a 'Sultan' behind
Old 14th Aug 2008, 12:23
PC767

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
During my time in uniform I was a firearms officer and spent time with teams carrying out protection duties in the UK. I assited with UK Royals and Officials and also visiting Dignitories.

My observations are that this is a simple cultural clash. UK Royal and dignitories (in general) are keen not to cause offence or disruption whenever possible. Although their status means they have a lifestyle which impacts on others they are apologetic and required that we did what ever we could to minimise that impact. I was involved with USA dignitories who were the opposite because they felt they had not left the USA and everything should be done their way, except for President Clinton who despite the best attempts of his lackys was a concerned gentleman. African and middle eastern dignitories on the other hand assume it is their right to keep people waiting and the more impact on everbody else they have the more important it makes them.

Certainly in the UK we wouldn't tolerate such behaviour so readily. Other nations have different expectations and tolerance levels. British ethics in Nigeria will result in a clash. And to state that the Empire created these ideals is wrong. What ended 50 years ago may not have been right but after our removal the locals in a small minority of countries have continued to develop and enhance what they percieved the British were like to a place well beyond reality.

And if there is a petition in place similar to the last one. I'll gladly add my signiture to boycott BA in Nigeria. Make my life a trifle easier not to go there.