PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightweight Headsets
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2000, 12:08
Captain Tobias Wilcox

Unhappy

Hugmonster,

I have flown turboprops (both the ATR and a similar but slightly quieter type), using Sennheiser sets (with the logo HMA 1410KA - not sure if this is the model number), Telex lightweight sets, and DC H10-40s (not simultaneously!).

Even on long sectors, I much prefer the DCs, for a variety of reasons including long-term concerns over loss of hearing and the desire to hear everything clearly enough.

However, many people don't adjust the DCs properly. You will know that the headband and earpieces may be adjusted to leave a slack or tight fit. I now have two DC headsets, one which I keep set very tight for doing aeros, and a slack one for flying the big stuff (Boeings now, yuck & yawn...).

The Sennheisers are good, but let a lot of noise in, meaning you have to turn everything up more to hear, leading to hearing loss perhaps...

The Telex are neat, but slide off at the first hint of getting caught on anything, and therefore they now stay at home.

So, my advice is to stick with the DCs and be able to hear the conversation clearly at your retirement 'do'!

All the best to you in the beautiful North, from all of us at Coconut Airways.