PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sanctions Urged against British Airways for leaving a 'Sultan' behind
Old 14th Aug 2008, 10:17
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrr...Lagos

During my time there, operating for AAI, on one particular New York flight, all the crew was held at the hotel for about 45 minutes due a maintenance delay in rectifying an incoming unserviceability.
Then we all jumped in the cars, and with the associated armed guard vehicles front and rear, headed off to the airport, the usual routine.

When we arrived at the airport, I recall briskly walking towards the usual departure gate, and noticing that there were no passengers milling/waiting in the area of the departure lounge. I remember thinking that the NYC flights were always fullish, and that was odd!

Anyway, I reach the gate, walk down the aerobridge to find the airplane is full of Nigerian pax, all waiting to go, some 300+ pax, with no sign of any traffic/security or anyone else to oversee them, I was totally gobsmacked to say the least!
I was straight away abused by most that saw me arrive aboard that we were late departing and where had we been? (or language to that approximate meaning).
All access to everywhere on board was available, including the flight deck door was open, and people were wandering everywhere!
Of course, I immediately found the traffic person and had him completely deplane everybody, and the maintenance guys and us crew guys then carried out a complete search of the airplane, needless to say it took quite some time!
The duty traffic guy got a good dressing down from us, and we submitted a report to company to both highlight the problem and to justify the additional delay.
To this day, I still vividly remember the shock of realizing what I had come across, and how dangerous a situation we were exposed to!

Oh...and by the way, when I flew for Kuwait Air, the Emirs in Kuwait used to do the same sorts of things when we tried to depart Dubai on many an occasion, we didn't like it, but we knew better than to leave without 'em, but unfortunately, they did to!

It all adds to the experiences of flying in countries where I wouldn't want to live!

Cheers...FD...