PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who are wearing the black hats? The Russians or the Georgians?
Old 14th Aug 2008, 10:06
dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
The current hostilities began when Georgian forces invaded South-Ossetian-controlled territory and began shelling the Tskhinvali capital of the break-away Government of the Republic of South Ossetia. The Georgians had already cut off electricity to South Ossetia, and had pursued policies forcing the Ossetians to rely on Russia economically. Is it really any great surprise that Russia, which has had internationally recognized peacekeeping forces in South Ossetia since 1992, should respond militarily to this attack on the South Ossetians – who it sees as its people? Were they even wrong to do so?
I think this is the crucial point - the BBC were claiming that around the time both factions were talking, Georgia launched a sneak attack, resulting in the Russians moving in with big stick. Presumably the Georgian premier calculated that Russia wouldn't do anything, as Georgia could never hope to win a fight against Russia, so they must have based their thinking on the insurance policy of being pals with America. While I certainly don't claim to know the full story, I'm not inclined to be sympathetic to Georgia just because they're the apparent David in the Goliath story, especially as their hubris has the potential to spark something way more serious.

Equally, there's no mistaking America's message to Putin; it certainly isn't an altruistic display of US generosity to Georgian unfortunates when delivered by USAF C17. It should be interesting to see what moral platitudes the Americans now spout, having cashed-in most of their scruples and positions on the high ground since 9/11.