PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who are wearing the black hats? The Russians or the Georgians?
Old 14th Aug 2008, 01:13
brickhistory

jacko, a well written post.

However, I'm surprised at the questioning of who the black hats are.

Regardless of South Ossetia's claim, they still were part of Georgia. Any nation would take a dim view of a fair chunk just up and leaving. Britain towards us in 1776, Russia towards Chechnya in the last dozen years or so, etc., etc. No other nation's military went on holiday in Russia while Putin and Company used up some Soviet-era munitions.

Is Russia allowing North Ossetia to 'run free?' I also thought Russia came to save 'Russian citizens' not Ossetians. Of course, since Russia provided those self-same folks with passports, then it's a neat trick.

Surely there are better means to work for independence than just 'I say so?' Unless, of course, it works. Again, the US as an example of a successful rebellion a while ago.

Regarding the breakup of the FRY, didn't that whole effort start over the wholesale eradication of everyone who wasn't Serb? And didn't NATO have permission from mama UN? Russia didn't say "Simon says."

I don't think Georgia was an innocent virgin in the current spat, but I believe this is Putin's way of keeping the former Soviet Republics from getting too cozy with the West and being right on his doorstep.

While historically, this is nothing new, since we're in the present, does Putin get the right to say 'nyet' to Georgia's government. The practical matter is yes. The philosophical matter is will the West let him?

This is the re-emergence of the Bear. But this time with a wallet.

Last edited by brickhistory; 14th Aug 2008 at 01:48.