PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirservicesAustralia wants Overtime to be compulsory
Old 14th Aug 2008, 00:54
Bill Woodfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The compulsory O/T is a crock
and that, dear friend, is the raison d'être of this thread - to alert our flying colleagues to this new tactic in the last grasp of ze straws from Spin City (before Big Tony attends the next board meeting with his kicking boots on).

Some of us don't accept some of the call-ins because we are just too tired and we know with some of the trivial and punitive reasons to be "stood-down" that if we lower our defences for an instant (eg I'm 80% not 100% alert) we are opening ourselves to risks to livelihood which in turn affects family etc etc.

If we have a string of incidents, we will get fired. If we have a string of incidents because we are tired and not on our A-game is utter stupidity because we will get hung out to dry.

I wholeheartedly support your opposition to it
Good onya and thanks.

The sleep deficit is a problem on any roster
Correct. We get paid a composite salary (inbuilt shift penalties) to work some crap hours and manage that fatigue. Shift work is part of aviation we can always leave if it gets too much.

To be commanded to work additional overtime, to be reprimanded and disciplined for refusing, to be reprimanded and disciplined for not being contactable is just bizarre (see straw+grasp etc above).

Traffic_Is_Er_Was. Sorry for assuming you worked in Spin City, it was a low and rather caddish accusation and comment on my part.

PS Just wait for the next annual report and try to match the money this mob makes with its recent actions and comments regarding compulsory call ins and match that with the previous comments that we have had an over reliance on overtime. When that happens and if anyone sees a logical connection between it all please advise what you smoked, swallowed, snorted, consumed, skulled etc so we can all also enter that altered state to experience such enlightenment.

Last edited by Bill Woodfull; 14th Aug 2008 at 01:07.