PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex RAF/ forces people- Is the grass greener?
Old 13th Aug 2008, 20:09
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grass - shades of green

Hi Kengineer-130.
Did 18 and have been out 12. Went contracting, then worked for two different 145 Approved organisations, both as Chief Engineer, then freelanced for a couple of years. Have been running my own 145 business for 4 1/2 years now.

Based on the above mil and civvy experience, I can advise you only from my own learning curve.

Contracting
1) the money can be brilliant, but only if you are contracting as a licenced engineer with appropriate type ratings. Without a licence and type ratings, the money is still better than the mob.
2) the people you will be working alongside (contractors) will represent the whole spectrum of humanity, both the best parts, and the most dilusional and incapable liars etc.
3) you can be living out of your suitcase in various parts of the world, only now you chose where you want to go.
4) there is no 'career structure'.
5) with the right licence coverage and good reputation built up, you can decide if you want to work all year round or not.
6) no pension unless you take out a private plan.
7) if the market slumps, it could be some time before your next well-paid contract. The rates are market led.
8) you could get 'blown out' at any time. Stay in touch with the agencies all the time. i.e. every day.
9) there could be a better contract elsewhere. Stay in touch with the agencies all the time. i.e. every day.
10) management WILL try and roll you over at every opportunity. See 7 below.

Permanent positions
1) same hangar floor every day.
2) same faces every day.
3) same work every day.
4) reasonable wages (remember, small aircraft = small wages).
5) there is no 'career structure'.
6) there may be a 'with contributions' pension plan available.
7) management WILL try and roll you over at every opportunity. Stick to your guns. The company pays your wages, but the CAA issue your licence, and they can take it away far quicker than you earned it.

It is not bad once you appreciate the ground rules are different. Although there is supposed to be a commonality in civil aviation maintenance standards, the truth is it hasn't got a patch on the RAF. Standards vary greatly. The regulator (CAA here in the UK) is subject to differing interpretations of their own rules. They don't take appropriate action against violators. Instead they give them 'just another chance'. Again and again. Management will do anything to save another couple of quid. The biggest difference you will note is, the RAF accepted that the maintenance of their aircraft was of paramount importance. In the civvy world, the owners and operators, big and small, see maintenance as an extremely costly interference in their plans, and will try every dirty trick in the book to get you to certify something that you normally wouldn't. Retain your integrety at all costs.

Understand and accept the above, and you can have a great time out here. Good luck with your licences.

camlobe