PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - navagation headache
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 18:09
NorthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

eyeinthesky,. .. .I might agree with you, except that whilst we retain some genuinely difficult topics for study and examination, we help to maintain the minimum academic standard within the profession. There's already far too much de-skilling in our industry, and by ensuring that those who join it are relatively intelligent, we may work against this to a degree.. .. .For my part, I would happily throw away INS and replace it with Latin grammar, pure mathematics, or whatever you like, just to ensure that the study is hard and you need to be bright to pass.. .. .I would also introduce yearly examinations to check on the level of retained knowledge of basic subjects such as Meteorology and Air Law, (and this would be a cash cow too, of course!!), but doubt anyone would be with me on this. Pilots are never tested on anything but their flight deck skills in manoeuvreing and managing an aircraft - but their knowledge should be deeper than can be apparent from this.. .. .Once you're into the airlines, of course, it gets worse, as the manufacturers insist on publishing 'need to know' manuals which leave lots of important stuff out - despite which, IRE/TRE types still ask questions on material which is not published (thus the success of the various 'cockpit notes' which give more informaton than the manufacturers do).. .. .Pilots are happy to count themselves in with lawyers and doctors, as 'professional' people. However, a pilot might spend only one year 'studying' before joining an airline where he or she will spend two months 'training', and then be qualified. A doctor will train for five years or more, a lawyer, just as long. Where is the parity?. .. .If you're going through the examination 'mill', work at it, and if you're good enough you'll get through. Bear in mind that you'll be competing for jobs with all sorts of others, and the fewer of them there are, the better your chances.. .. .I still wouldn't let my children do it, though, and if I could move into another job which pays as well, I would do so - like a shot.. .. .(I'm one of the old-fashioned people who regard spelling as quite important too - so, Nunos, it's navigation with an 'i').. . . . <small>[ 09 March 2002, 14:12: Message edited by: NorthernSky ]</small>