PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Anyone Still Teach the Fundamentals of Weight and Balance anymore?
Old 13th Aug 2008, 10:14
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Groundhand
There is the alternative view in that the role of the Dispatcher, within certain operating parameters, can be made redundant.

This systerm has worked successfully at large bases for several carriers and is a function of the CLC planning and communicating the load and any restrictions; crews self brief and the aircraft have ACARS/AIRCOM; the Ramp team leader takes responsibility for loading and communicating deviations and signing off the loading; and the passenger boarding team taking responsibility for the passenger load and any deviations and signing off the laod. All other servicing agents (catering, fuel, cleaners etc.) are contracted directly by the carrier on time related contracts.

When everyone is trained correctly and companies take responsibility for the delivery of their service the Dispatcher role becomes redundant.
The concept of each Service/Function being responsible and accountable for notifying its start/completion/delay of its part of the turnaround critical path has been around a very long time. Communications and.Systems tools to put this into practise have also been around for some years. In fact the concept in a simplified form have been in operation with at least one large non-UK commuter airline for a decade and although applied to 50/70 Seaters, providing the Onboard Servicee is minimal and Holds are Baggage only doing the same thing on a larger aircraft should not be a problem, providing System/Communications Tools are implemented, and those providing services are competent..
For Operations where Service Standards are higher and Cargo is an element the Turnaround Critical Path is much more complex. However
the Ramp Team Leader replaces role I assigned to the Dispatcher in my previous post as regards Holds and Pax Services would enter deviatons as they occur affecting the cabin. So for the purposes of this thread there isn't a problem.

Whilst I have strong views on the role of the Dispatcher in Mainline Operations, I do accept these may be 'out of step' with current thinking and in certain operational environments can be reduced, or even disappear as a separate function. .

However I think the Role of the Dispatcher Now and in the Future is worthy of a thread of its own - Care to start it ?