PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirservicesAustralia wants Overtime to be compulsory
Old 13th Aug 2008, 07:52
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawyer for the Plaintiff: "You knew you were tired, yet you came in for overtime anyway? Is that correct?"

ATC Defendant: "Yes, but my employer required it."

Lawyer: "Required it? Do you take your responsibilities seriously, or do you just do what any person tells you to do regardless of the consequences?"

ATC: "I take my responsibilities seriously!"

Lawyer: "You sure have a funny way of showing it. My client is seeking damages. You can kiss your assets goodbye."
ATC: "I take my responsibilities very seriously, but in 2008 my employer required me to attend extra duty at least once a fortnight on average. I had little mechanism to refuse the duty as my sick leave credits, reduced to 15 a year in late 2008 expired in mid 2009."

Lawyer: "So you must be a very sick person if you've used all your leave in less than 6 months, that's three times the benchmark"

ATC: "Well I had a hernia operation and was off work for 12 days in January; I've only had 3 other days leave in 6 months, but I have no sick credits left. Every sick day now costs me a days pay, and you know the mortgage and all, well I had to soldier on, I thought I was ok, honest."