PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Etihad Package...
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2008, 04:48
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CT7
Mussafah, well, apparently the crystal ball says there's going to be lots happening there. Of course when it does EY will move you out 'cause the rents will be too high. But huge shopping malls etc.... Hotels, the works.
I'll believe that when I see it.

Meanwhile the reality of Mussafah today is spelt out in today's National.

MUSAFFAH // Thousands of workers are living in makeshift dormitories and potentially unsafe conditions in the industrial town of Musaffah, according to the authorities.

The light industries section of Musaffah could be easily mistaken for a city slum. Satellite dishes sprout from the top of low-rise buildings, personal belongings hang from windows and clothes lines stand on the sides and the backs of scrap and repair shops.

One building has been turned into workers’ accommodation at the back of a service station. To enter the building, you have to pass a group of unused, dusty cars and navigate a dark, narrow alley reeking of rotten water and cigarettes.

Beneath the staircase are two massive air-compressors, feeding the service station. Workers hang their blue overalls on the walls surrounding the two engines.

At first glance, there is nothing unusual about another building, the Rony Miah repair shop, with fridges and air-conditioning units lined up at the front. However, inside, there are at least six people living on beds without mattresses in the attic, made of plywood and steel. The workers refuse to criticise their living conditions because they say there are no better options. “In Abu Dhabi, you can’t live in a shop, and in Musaffah, you can’t, said Rony, the shop owner 28, who also lives in the attic. “What am I going to do?”