PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirservicesAustralia wants Overtime to be compulsory
Old 13th Aug 2008, 03:43
undervaluedATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The usual shift run (say it starts on a monday)
mon 1500-2300
tues 1130-1930
wed morn 0600-1315
wed night 2330 - 0615 thurs morn.
As you can see, there is reducign periods of time in between shifts, leading up to the night shift.

This is followed by two days off (eg Fri & Sat). And that's the period where we are expected to work the overtime
I know I'm quoting myself, but I forgot to add something, and did'nt want to edit the post. (in spite of the typing error!)

In actual fact, regarding the period where we are expected to do overtime, AsA actually includes the the afternoon following the night you've been awake all night! (or, Thursday afternoon/night in the example above) Now, in fairness, AsA will normally call everyone else on a day off first, but if they all say no, or are uncontactable, you will be called to try to prevent service interruptions.

That's right, it's perfectly legal (and some people do, for their own reasons ) to come back in the afternoon, (a mininum of) 8 hours after their night shift finished, and work an overtime shift, up to 10 hours in length (but usually 7 or 8).

And our "fatigue management software" says its okay, so long as I've "really, truly, I-swear-I-did-officer" slept for 4 to 5 hours in between returning to work. Or if I'm really lucky, it'll also say if I do this shift, I can't do anymore overtime for a few days