PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Anyone Still Teach the Fundamentals of Weight and Balance anymore?
Old 13th Aug 2008, 01:44
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boeingbus2002.
Another problem that arises is when Load controllers use the auto load plan function, thus not actually knowing what is going on. The errors spotted by ramp agents have been attributed to this.
This type of 'user dependence' is something the Supervisory and Management Staff of the Load Control Centre must avoid, as it happens even if staff are technically competent, they 'let the computer take the strain' and don't even visually check the product output. Of course if their training has been skimped, then their 'user dependence level is 100%, and what was a risk that can be dealt with, becomes a potential danger!
A well designed and administered system improves productivity and overall accuracy within the parameters of its design and the information it holds, but the Human Brain is still much more flexible than any computer system and can deal with what to the computer are anomalies, and take into account information not stored, or not available to the system.

The ramp agents receive a reduced training package which is a cost saving measure. They still enter the specific details required for loadsheets to be produced and still hit a release button. The load controller simply hits another button to send a loadsheet via ACARS or to make it available for re-printing.
Whether a reduced Training Package is adequate, depends on what it is reduced from (some posts tend to indicate even where centralised Load Control is not used Load Control Training is already at minimum). Well I am sure I will be contradicted, but my view is that:
A Dispatcher should have a short Load Control Course, a full course on practical loading and dangerous goods. The Carrier brief for Dispatchers should include the same drawings by Aircraft type as for Load Planners and any special loading requirements (Standard EIC, or Spare Packs).

The means of,and distribution of, Documents (Loading Instructions/Plan, Loadsheet, Special Load Notifications, etc) are really down to what is available at the Airport of Departure (The WAN/LAN and Device Configurations would have to be worked out with IT Support) and/or Aircraft and can be any combination of Printer/Display in Offices, Gates, Dispatcher Vehicle, or ACARS/AIRCOM to Cockpit, or Cabin Management System. Obviously the Dispatcher must know what a particular Carrier requires and if ACAR/AIRCOM Equipped is this where the Load Sheet will be delivered and whether draft and final are required.

(Of course this may work well when completed all in house from one location), however for most long haul carriers, the flight is being operated out of LHR and the loadcontroller is sitting in an office in Bangkok. Cape Town, Istanbul without perhaps even knowing what the holds look like in real life!
There are different variations of Centralised Load Control:
Handling Agent- Covering one Country, or region, I don't think any are Global, Airline- normally Global, or Airline Outsourced.
If have tried not to get into these variations on a theme, because providing the staff in the Load Control Centre responsible for Semi-permanent Data Maintenance, Load Planning, Loadsheet production are fully trained, competent and checked out on each Carriers Aircraft Type the location should NOT Matter, but this also means that the one remaining eyes and ears at the Airport of Departure, the Dispatcher is adequately trained and Competent and has a good Carrier Briefing Document (either on-line, or hard copy and which is maintained with updates).

As for the Load Planners not knowing the Holds/Compartments of an Aircraft Type Belonging to a particular Carrier:
As an Airlines Systems Person , I should say it doesn't matter as a good system properly maintained will store the Hold/Compartment and Cabin Specifications by Carrier, by type, sub-type and variant.
But it does matter, as a pragmatist, the system holds these specifications as numeric data and whilst I accept it is NOT Practical for Load Planners to spend time with very Carriers Aircraft Type, I firmly believe that their on-line knowledge base should have annotated three view and perspective drawings of the Hold/Compartments for each Carrier and Type (Plus Cabin Configurations).

It is obvious from your Post that there is a major shortfall in training, competency, standards and quality assurance in the Load Control Centre you deal with. You have my sympathy and all you can do is report incidents, irregularities and if you find even a possible hint that safety was compromised then ensure you get the report as far up your organisations management totem pole as possible.

Last edited by Opssys; 13th Aug 2008 at 02:17.