PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Training
Thread: FAA Training
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2008, 18:29
VR-HHE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FAA PPL training

Hi
Given the interest on the forum about flight training in the US I thought that I would post given that I have just returned from completing an accelerated FAA PPL course. I chose Sunstate Aviation at Kissimmee Airport (KISM), Florida, based mainly on the fact that they were an approved Cessna Training school and had young and modern aircraft. I gave them 26 working days to get me through the course and they managed it, with the FAA check ride successfully taken the day prior to heading back to Europe. I would recommend this school to anyone who is able to knuckle down and complete the ground study required. The training is completely centered around the Cessna syllabus and comprises of numerous short DVDs followed by flights covering the same material, and other lessons previously learnt. At first I was rather dissillusioned with the course as it was so regimented in its structure but after 10 days I realised that it was covering all of the subjects at a very rapid pace. The training is good and all areas are re-enforced my completing exercises in the air again and again until you can do engine failure checklists naturally and without hesitation. Sometimes I would fly three times a day (2 day flights and a night flight) and with the ground study it made for long but enjoyable days. The Aircraft, Garmin 1000 equipped C-172s, were young (2-3 years old) and in good condition. Defects were fixed quickly and aircraft swaps, if requried, were easily arranged. They are probably not the cheapest place in town but if you are able to give them the time then they will get you through the course. In 26 days I flew 42 hours and made over 90 landings, despite the vagaries of the Florida weather in summer. I am an experienced glider pilot with over 350 hours which probably helped me during the course but if you have the right attitude it is possible to get the whole thing done in a month. I took my family with me but they did not see that much of me as I had one day off every 6 days. There is though plenty for the family to do in the area given the proximity of Disneyworld and accommodation at resorts (we rented a house with pool) is not expensive. If you are travelling solo then there are plently of inns along Vine Street and Sun State are able to arrange a good corporate rate for you. I hope to go back soon and rent a Cessna for a few days en-route to a conference. Good school with solid and knowledgeable instructors - thoroughly recommended.