PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Aug 2008, 14:08
Lafyar Cokov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the OP should have read the 'sticky' first etc etc however it is quite refreshing to see
This has been a dream ever since i was little but am now 21
rather than the more prevelent "Well, at uni I wasn't really sure what to do and someone said try the RAF"

Tony C: There is a great deal of info in the sticky thread at the top of the list, however to summarise how I would approach it:

Know the current RAF aircraft, structure and deployments like the back of your hand.

Have a reasonably in-depth knowledge in to the world's current events particularly any military conflicts and recent developments (If the interview was this week a mention of Russia's Georgian operation would be good).

Ensure that your life is not 'one-dimensional' and have varied interests, particularly in sports, and outdoor events.

Practise 'Brain-Training' type games and increase your capacity for mental arithmatics, hand-eye co-ordination and the ability to calculate in multiples of 60 (for miles per minute calculations - eg 180mph = 3 miles per minute).

Know your age in years and complete months (Not sure if this is still relevent - but it was in 1984 and 1991)

Good luck and don't lose sight of your dream!! (By the way the correct answer at the interview is probably not
i always had a love for the Tornado
but "I would love to fly the Typhoon" !!! - but honestly - Dont make stuff up at the interview and be yourself!

LC