PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2008, 12:49
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fascinating debate... it's amazing what people get up to when you're off the intartubes for a week, navigating a rental truck across half the US.

SSSETOWF - You're in grave danger of sliding into the philosophical error of the Lory in Alice in Wonderland. The Lory finally concluded every argument by saying "I'm older than you, and must know better" but still refused to disclose its age. Arguing (as many do) that only those who have access to the JSF program are qualified to discuss it (or criticize it) is equally fallacious, as is the similar argument that only those who have worn uniform or seen combat are qualified to comment on military matters. Contest the facts, not the source.

You're also picking holes in a piece from a year or more ago, when the SRVL speed parameters hadn't been disclosed. And for the record I don't recall a Sweetman book entitled "Modern Air Combat" - wasn't that Mike Spick?

Points well taken, though: The extra capability will be needed only on a hot, low-pressure day when it's essential to launch with weapons (not training) and they have to be retained if not used (tactical uncertainty). That is, in combat in the world's hotter places, which is where most of the world's armed and disgruntled people live.

NaB's basic point still seems to stand, though: you've got nowhere to run in the event of a problem, which is why RVL wasn't initially part of the program. Having had recent experience of about 12000 pounds of mass moving 35 mph and up (see above) I respect it.

As long as everyone can respect everyone else's background knowledge, though, it does sound as if a pub session with Sweetman, SSSETOWTF and NaB might be interesting... with Ann Widdecombe behind the bar, of course.

And it seems that someone's reading this thread, too...

Ares Homepage

Last edited by LowObservable; 12th Aug 2008 at 13:15.