PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winds at EGLL
Thread: Winds at EGLL
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2008, 12:11
Tonic Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winds at EGLL

Hi all.

I have been meaning to post this for a while, and I am finally encouraged to post due to the wind today!

I have had a scanner for years, and always tune in when the weather is bad to hear some action - and of course, when on Heathrow tower for landings, I hear the wind.

I live 10 miles directly south of LHR. The house faces east to west. For example, right now, the tress infront of the house are being lashed around, it's strong, it's going straight up north. My "annoyance" is this: Whenever the wind is so strong here I can hardly ride my bike, the wind at heathrow is "xxx @ 12 knots". I say to myself "that's impossible". And whenever the wind is not much here, I hear at LHR "Wind xxx @ 22 knots" (for example) HOW?

I just find it impossible that 10 miles south, is a semi-open area, the trees can be bending double yet the wind is nothing at Heathrow just 10 miles north.

Would someone care to explain how this is so? Right now, winds are 230/15 (sometimes G25, which as far as I'm concerned, should be the lowest figure!). Second, how is wind measured at heathrow? From the ground (which is surely unreliable?) or from 50 feet up? (more reliable and useful?)

Any responses welcome.

Regards