PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Renegade' controllers leave pilots flying blind: air chief
Old 12th Aug 2008, 10:39
Quokka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, they try it on and in the process, coerce and intimidate staff into signing documents that absolve (or attempt to absolve) them from responsibility... if you sign, they get what they want but the staff member has no recourse to legal action because they have been forced to sign a document that removes any liability from management.

In the 80's, in my first year of employment with the organisation, as a Flight Data Officer, the Industrial Officer (company, not Union) for the region drafted a letter in which I would agree to the removal all of my individual rights to Union representation. I was ordered to attend the unit Manager's office in which the Acting Manager, seeking to force an amendment to my conditions of work, presented the letter to me and told me to sign it (later denied in a higher Manager's office). I refused and was then told "right, your suspended until we decide what we're going to do with you."

I sought assistance from the controllers, who immediately contacted the Civilair President, who contacted the GM, who removed the Acting Manager. I was then ordered to attend the Regional Manager's office who stated "I don't like being told by Canberra how to run my Region".

Ahhh... the good old days... except, almost two decades later, in my last year of employment, an Air Traffic Control Line Manager, attempted to coerce a controller into signing a document by threatening to suspend his license if he didn't agree... then removed the second page of a three page document that he had signed and replaced it with an amended page which was then represented to a third party as a true and correct document as signed by the controller.

Nothing has changed.