PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Aug 2008, 08:42
Tony Claxton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips or facts about becoming an RAF pilot?

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any pilots out there that are already in the RAF that would be able to give me any hints or tips that would give me the best possible chance of becoming a pilot in the RAF.
This has been a dream ever since i was little but am now 21. I didn't know what i wanted to do when i went to college although i always had a love for the Tornado and the RAF (as my grandad was a navigator in the war). I really feel that this is what i want now and was hoping that people could give me advice on what to do.
I have rung for my first appointment with the AFCO but was wondering if there were any special qualifications that would be needed.
The app says that you have to have 5 GCSE's which i have and 2 A-Levels (I have obtained a BTEC which is the equivalent to 3 A-Levels). From that i should be able to apply no problem, however, the BTEC i have is nothing technical, in fact it is a media BTEC. Would this stand me in a lesser light to others? Also, once i have spoken to them and if i get offered an interview, what would you reccommend that i research for the interview?
I really want this job, it is my version of a dream job. To be a pilot in the RAF would be unbelieveable and more over to be a fighter pilot in the RAF would be a dream come true! If anyone could give me advice i would be extremely grateful.
Thanks,
Tony